Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Dark Queen -- Chapter 5


Chapter 5

"Bring forth the girl," were the first words I heard my cousin speak.  The King refused, and ordered his guards to seize her.  He kept screaming how impossible it was she was there.  He called her a devil and names much worse.  No one, even though they were commanded by the King himself, would approach the Romanian Queen.  Some attendees tried to flee, but the doors had locked on their own.  Everyone tried to back away, except for me.  I pushed my way to the front to see my cousin.

The bride's brother finally drew his sword and entered the room.  He approached the steps where the Queen was sitting.  She reached out and grabbed his throat.  She lifted the brother off of the ground and commanded once again, "Bring forth the girl."  This time, the Venetian Princess complied.  She walked to the front of the grand room.  The King lurked several steps behind her.  Queen Debra dropped the man, but his neck had already been broken.  She gazed down at the young girl.  When the Venetian princess spoke, my cousin became enraged.  "How dare you sit a foreigner upon the throne of Romania," she admonished.  My cousin decided to take  pity on the girl, and saved her from the cruel fate that awaited her.  She killed her quickly.

The ladies in attendance screamed as the Princess' body fell to the floor.  My cousin the Queen looked at the King, her mouth dripping red.  He called upon the Bishop, who held up a cross, and Debra backed away.  Her eyes turned crimson red and the holy man called upon Jesus to save them.  Even God himself turned his back on the King, because the prayers did not stop her.  Debra began with the soldiers and anyone else who held a sword.  The women were next as well as the feeble men.  She saved the King for last, but allowed the Bishop to leave.  That's when I knew God had sent Debra to punish evil.  I closed my eyes in silent justice until I heard the King screaming no more.

My cousin stood before me in the grand room she once ruled.  I fell to my knees and wept at her feet.  Debra told me to rise, but I refused.  She told me to take my husband and return home.  She asked me to name my first born daughter after her.  I shook my head no.  I refused to leave her side.  Debra explained she was a monster now, and no part of her belonged among the living.  I swore I would rather die than believe she was anything but my cousin.  I vowed death before I would leave her again.  As the tears rolled down Debra's face, she reached out her hand and caressed my cheek.  She pulled me close to her, and the rest was darkness.


No comments:

Post a Comment