Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Dark Queen -- Chapter 9



Chapter 9

Spring was a time for renewed hope among the living, but for us, it meant shorter nights.  The warmer weather also brought a surge of ships into the harbor, and with it, slaves from the new world.  The streets of Seville became crowded with the wanton and lustful.  Women were traded like property to be used and disposed of when broken.  My Queen could not sit idle any longer and began frequenting the the town at night.  Brothels were mysteriously abandoned.  Clients and owners disappeared.  The women were given a merciful death.  My sister had no intention of condemning them to a lifetime of haunted memories.  She knew too well how relentless the torment was.  In time, the slaves and the abandoned would pray during the infrequent moments between visitors for the Night Mother to come.  But no matter how hard the Queen worked, the brothels appeared faster than she could remove them.

Cira was protective of my sister, and rarely left her side.  At times, I could even feel her stare on me as I visited.  Rafael was always reassuring, and took my worries away, but they always returned with every visit...and he encouraged them often.  I started to feel lost, but my Queen always remained composed.  She would take me with her some nights, and the atrocities I witnessed reminded me of echos I heard through the walls in Bucharest.  My hands were stained red those nights, blood crusted under my nails, life dripping from my lips.  Debra took no pleasure in these acts, and Cira did not partake at all.  I, however, had pledged undying devotion and carried out my Queen's will without question.  

It was near dawn one morning when I spotted her.  A lovely maiden from the new world, a prize for an ambitious sea captain.  The girl glowed when she smiled.  She walked as if there was nothing under her feet but air.  There was a fire in her dark eyes that hinted of danger.  Yes, there was an unmistakable resemblance to Cira, and Cira noticed it too.  When Debra commented, I saw the signs of smoldering jealousy inside of Cira.  My sister's lover turned away, and remained away for several days.  Debra withdrew from the streets in an attempt to pacify Cira.  When the woman finally returned to my Queen's arms, she had seemed to forget that anything had ever happened.  But I had heard news of a captain who was offered a large sum of money to sell his bride to be into a brothel.  The payer was said to be an exotic woman of mystery. The girl was a native from the new world named Angelique.  The captain had chosen the money.


No comments:

Post a Comment