Monday, November 4, 2013

The Dark Queen -- Chapter 7


Chapter 7

I remember the first time I met Rafael.  He was suave, but genuine.  He had a sincerity in his brown eyes that almost distracted you from the devil in his smile.  When he spoke, I wanted to listen, but his words were always intended for Queen Debra.  She had many suitors, but only paid attention to him.  Rafael was born of a lower nobility in his human life, but my sister did not seem to care.  She would often be dismissive of him, but he knew it was just a game.  Rafael always played along.

The nights passed, and my cousin and I would often find ourselves strolling along the streets of Seville.  Rafael accompanied us more often than not.  He was always gentlemanly, showing me the proper respect a lady deserves, and showering my Queen with attentive kindnesses.  I loved when he would tell us about the city, pointing out landmarks with rich histories.  Rafael came alive when he talked about Spain, and I began to feel like I had found a home.  I also cherished I could be a lady to the Queen and everyone treated her as such.  It was a privilege I was denied in Romania.

The city itself was changing.  New wealth brought new opportunities to the ambitious.  The Church had begun a process they called an Inquisition.  Foreigners flooded into the cities, and many not by choice.  Ships would bring back natives from the new world to serve as slaves, or to be sold to brothels.  My cousin would often comment how the Church should turn their attention to the streets instead of worrying about the hearts of the already devoted.  Rafael agreed, but many did not.  They saw the spread of brutality as an opportunity for those who lived in darkness.  A higher death rate meant the less noticeable we became.  None of the vampires dared speak those words in front of the Queen.  Instead, they brought lavish gifts to Debra to buy her favor.  In time, Queen Debra began to become a woman of great monetary worth.

It was a night in early autumn when Rafael offered my sister the greatest gift of all...one she could name herself.  She took him by the hand, and then placed it on mine.  Debra spoke, "Emilie is to me as a sister.  You will find enduring devotion and kindness in her heart.  Treat her as you have treated me."  I wept, for Debra knew what my heart wouldn't allow me to speak.  Rafael was a man of his word, and turned his affections towards me.  What he did not understand was Debra could no longer find comfort in the arms of a man, but she did have eyes for another.




No comments:

Post a Comment