Saturday, November 9, 2013

The Dark Queen -- Chapter 11


Chapter 11

Cira had the look of hate as she gazed upon me.  I said nothing, but my Queen commanded her to step aside.  Cira did so reluctantly, and I presented the girl.  I knew my sister was not pleased with my actions, but she would never say it out loud.  She never needed to.  Instead, she looked upon the girl with sympathy.  "I will take your life," Debra consoled, but Angelique did not want relief.  She asked for a second life instead.  Cira interjected.  When Debra refused to heed her lover's council, Cira turned to strike me for my insolent decision.  My sister grabbed her arm and warned her to never lift a hand against her sister again.  Cira stepped away.

My Queen turned back to the foreign beauty.  Angelique was on her knees, and lifted her clasped hands above her head.  "Please, Night Mother, I want to be what you are."  Debra took a moment to stare at me.  I lowered my eyes to the floor.  The Queen returned her hazel gaze to the girl.  "I am no mother and will not take you as a child."  Angelique looked around the room.  "But you are a Queen...I could be one of your subjects.  I promise to..."  Cira broke out in anger and demanded Debra kill the girl or she would do it herself.  Debra ignored her.  She asked the most important question instead.  "Why do you wish to live?"

"Revenge," was word that escaped the lips of Angelique, "to the people who have wronged me."  Cira pointed to me exclaiming I should be the first victim, since I did not allow her to have a peaceful death.  Although I never wanted to hurt my sister, I answered, "I am not the one who paid to have her removed from her lover's arms and thrown into degradation and suffering."  Cira cursed at me when Debra asked if it was true.  My sister's exotic lover swore she would never betray Debra in that way, and insisted I was the liar.  Debra did not believe her.  Cira warned that if the Queen embraced Angelique into the night, she would leave her.  Debra said nothing.  Cira then threatened she would raise Seville against Debra, but no one threatens my Queen.  The look I last saw over a century before on that throne in Bucharest returned.  Queen Debra exposed her fangs and plunged them into the kneeling girl, welcoming her into eternal darkness.



No comments:

Post a Comment