Friday, November 15, 2013

The Dark Queen -- Chapter 17


Chapter 17

It was as if someone had found Debra's lost heart and placed it back into her chest.  She hurt.  Her eyes were open, but the sights she saw only made her want her to close them again.  My sister wanted to forget everything she spent her life trying to forget, but the voice in the darkess haunted her.  Debra was no longer the Queen who ruled, but some instincts are not easily tossed aside.  How could she deny a direct plea for help when they spoke her name?  My sister struggled for many long nights with her soul.

Jochem became concerned about the mental health of his beloved.  She barely participated in the night time activities of the palace, or when she did, she suddenly found no joy.  He would often ask me if I knew what was wrong with her, but how do you tell a man she found everything wrong with his very existence?  I would just shake my head no and promise to talk to her.  The King and Queen were less concerned, but they did begin to lose their taste for the Romanian guest.  She was obviously not the woman they believed her to be.

Yvonne, who Debra would come to learn was the name of the girl in the darkness, was a vampire of over fifty years since death.   The girl had only seen my sister once.  When she was freshly made, she had heard tales of a Queen in Spain who showed compassion to the abused.  She had asked her sire Jochem to take her there...to meet the one the rumors spoke of.  Yvonne never got close enough to speak to Queen Debra, but she never forgot the face, or the words victims would cry out in the night.

One night, when Jochem came to me to ask what was wrong with my sister, I finally had a reply.  To his astonishment, I spoke of the girl in the darkness.  Although he tried to understand, he could not.  His heart was barren of sympathy for his test subjects.  Finally, after much consideration, he decided to give a gift to his Romanian Queen.  He unchained Yvonne and presented her to Debra.  He said he had many vampires to work on, but never did he own a pet.  Yvonne could be their's.  Although my sister wanted to say many things, she simply responded, "Thank you."  Jochem was delighted to see her smile once again, but the smile was superficial.  


No comments:

Post a Comment