Friday, November 22, 2013

The Dark Queen -- Chapter 22



Chapter 22

The times were changing rapidly.  The age of human royalty was coming to an end.  The American colonies, aided by England's bitter rival France, fought for independence and won.  Even vampires have strong national allegiance, and they cursed the ungrateful colonists.  Amused, yet horrified, the English would sit by and watch as the French King suffered his very own revolution a short time later.  He would lose his head.  In England, things were different.  The royal family was revered, honored, but increasingly real power shifted to Parliament.  Vampires wanted no part of breaking tradition and held firm on their beliefs of complete royal rule.  My sister, although no longer a Queen, was one of the strongest advocates of that ideology I knew.

In 1837, an eighteen year old woman became Queen and ruler of England.  She was officially coronated in 1838.  My sister followed her reign with keen interest.  Although there were scandals, Queen Victoria fought for many of the same things Debra had when she wore the crown.  The young Queen brought about great social reforms and was the embodiment of morality.  During her reign, there was a cultural, colonial, and industrial explosion.  Many vampires would argue Queen Victoria had little to do with those things, but my sister, as stubborn as she can be at times, stood firm that it was the Queen's guidance that led to such great fortune.  It was obvious to me, if not to everyone, that Debra was now living vicariously through Queen Victoria.

In celebration of the matriarchal reign of Victoria, Mistress Debra began hosting galas, concerts, and tea parties.  She would insist on attendees adhering to the strict dress code that was inspired by the Queen herself.  Yvonne was always present, and so were the many suitors that followed her.  After over century she still never bored of the game, and still never settled for one person in particular.  "Variety, Emilie," she would often chuckle, "that is the spice of life."  As for myself, I had romances.  Some lasted longer than others, but none ever more than a decade.  Ten years was my limit to decide if eternity should be spent on one heart.

I can not say my sister Debra was happy again during the years of Victoria's rule, but I would say she was complacent.  She was a wife to the Vampire King of England in everything but title and name.  He treated her well, and allowed my sister freedom to do as she pleased.  He particularly liked Debra's new found social agenda.  The King was very fond of a good party and interesting company.  If everything seemed merry at all times, I knew one thing at least was missing to Debra.  No matter what the count of guests attending an event was, my sister always planned for one more.  That plate, she made sure, was never touched.  Although everyone assumed my sister's prudence always planned for the unexpected guest, I knew the placement was always set for Angie.



No comments:

Post a Comment