Friday, November 8, 2013

The Dark Queen -- Chapter 10


Chapter 10

"That woman is not right for Queen Debra," Rafael would often comment to me.  He almost seemed enraged at times.  I knew my sister too well.  She was no longer the helpless girl locked inside of a Romanian tower.  She was a Queen who had sent an entire wedding into eternal slumber because it was just and deserved.  Rafael had warned me that Cira was older and that meant stronger, but I would always counter with the fact my sister had Queen's blood in her veins.  He would back down and brood when he knew he could push me no farther.  Besides, my sister was in love, and nothing could please my heart more.  I refused to interfere or entertain any notions thereof. 

The nights of Seville were warm when Rafael and I began taking to the streets together.  Debra refrained from violence just as her lover had asked, but I knew my Queen's heart.  That is why Rafael and I continued her work.  Brothel by brothel, slave owner and slave trader, disappeared under the stars of Seville.  There were times when the bodies seemed to numerous to dispose of.  Rafael, my sweet, would always see to them never being found.  His dedication to me and my Queen endeared me ever so more to him.  During the quiet times I thought of little else than him.

The winds began to change, and the nights grew less warm when we entered a brothel on the south side of town.  Rafael disposed of the owners and guards as I went room to room punishing the clients with fangs and nails.  With every whisper of "Night Mother" I would lean down and reply, "I am her servant," before taking the abused' life.  It was in this brothel I came across the now wealthy sea captain's ex-bride to be.  She was dirty and beaten, but not broken like the rest.  There were two men in her room, and I killed the one holding her down first.  The second one removed himself from her opening and tried to run, but the woman named Angelique wrapped her legs around him tightly.  Instead of the usual plea of "Night Mother," the girl whispered, "Kill him," as he struggled to get loose.  I bit into his shoulder and forced my hand into his throat.  Rafael entered to see the final moments.

Angelique did not try to conceal herself, but my love turned away as any true gentleman would.  She reached out, but again did not ask for death.  Her body had been disgraced and starved, but her spirit was still strong.  She asked me for something else.  "Night Mother," her voice was hoarse, "take me with you."  I told her I could not and would not, but Rafael disagreed.  I told her I was not the Night Mother, but only her servant.  Angelique then pleaded to see the Night Mother herself.  Rafael insisted Queen Debra should make this decision and not I.  Even though I knew my Queen's desire, I succumbed to the wishes of my beloved, Rafael.



No comments:

Post a Comment